Sorry

but not

recoglize

"recognize"

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Да кто я такой, чтобы себе отказывать!

Поделиться сообщением

American/British Dialects

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Appalachian Mountains are in the Eastern USA. Prior to the American Revolution they were home to Native Americans. As the Native Americans gave up their land, hearty pioneers moved in to settle. The settlers were mostly from the British Isles with a surprising number of Germans. Most of these settlers and their descendants would be isolated from the rest of the US and the world for generations. Roads improved over time and American manufacturing expanded and needed more workers. Many people who had never been out of the mountains in their lives migrated out to work in factories. In the early 20th Century, a great many migrated to the Detroit, Michigan area to work in a booming automobile industry.

These people "talked funny". Other people had difficulty understanding them. They were looked down upon, called "hillbillies" and worse.

It was years before linguists realized that the Appalachian Mountain Dialect spoken by these people was not a degraded form of English but was instead archaic English. When the settlers moved into the mountains, they took their language with them and that language changed little for several generations. It is dying out today due to the effects of radio/television, and greatly increased contact with outside people. In America everyone is now learning to speak the Mid-Western dialect of TV shows.

In a university speech class, a recording was made of each students voice at the beginning of the class. (On a78 RPM platter at that time.) I thought I spoke good English. My mother kept the recording and years later played it for my wife to hear what I "used" to sound like. My accent was so thick that I could not believe that it was me. It has been a long time since anyone could guess where I grew up. In a way, that is kind of sad.

Because there was not regular contact between my parents and my wife and kids, my wife and kids never learned to clearly understand them.

In case anyone is interested in learning a little more about how the English language has changed over the past 200 or so years you might take a look at http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh30-2.html .

A short quote from that paper reads, ". . . what is heard today is actually a sort of Scottish-flavored Elizabethan English. This is not to say that Chaucerian forms will not be heard in everyday use, and even an occasional Anglo-Saxon one as well."

A Google search returns nearly 4,000 more references to Appalachian Mountain Dialect.

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

Jay Walker on the world's English mania

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

What happens when a fly falls into a cup of coffee?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Italian - throws the cup, breaks it, and walks away in a fit of rage.

The German - carefully washes the cup, sterilizes it and makes a new cup of coffee.

The Frenchman - takes out the fly, and drinks the coffee.

The Chinaman - eats the fly and throws away the coffee.

The Russian - Drinks the coffee with the fly, since it was extra with no charge.

The Israeli - sells the coffee to the Frenchman, sells the fly to the Chinese, sells the cup to the Italian, drinks a cup of tea, and uses the extra money to invent a device that prevents flies from falling into coffee.

The Palestinian - blames the Israeli for the fly falling into his coffee, protests the act of aggression to the UN, takes a loan from the European Union to buy a new cup of coffee, uses the money to purchase explosives and then blows up the coffee house where the Italian, the Frenchman, the Chinaman, the German and the Russian are all trying to explain to the Israeli that he should give away his cup of tea to the Palestinian

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

Здравствуйте, посоветуйте пожалуйста куда лучше пойти изучать английский язык?

Спасибо.

Поделиться сообщением

в Англию

Поделиться сообщением

Papa you are joker.

:blink:

Женщины могут хранить секреты.
Группами.
Человек по сорок.

Поделиться сообщением

no kidding, just facts

Поделиться сообщением

no kidding, just facts

It`s not true

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

- Where? - London.

- London? - London.

- London? - Yes, London.

You know, fish, chips, cup of tea...

...bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking-Poppins. London!

(с) you know.

Поделиться сообщением

There are a lot of people living in the US or UK for years and speaking like this - "Мои чилдренята на стриту гуляют" So called инглиш языкэн.

Don`t worry! Be happy!

Поделиться сообщением

I said about learning but not only living.

IMHO the best way to learn any language is to do it in native area.

All other methods look like compromises.

Изменено пользователем Papa

Поделиться сообщением

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти

• Последние посетители   0 пользователей онлайн

Ни одного зарегистрированного пользователя не просматривает данную страницу